New Electricity Bill will Allow you to Change Your Electricity Connection Likewise Mobile Connection


If your home or shop’s electricity bill is getting high, then you can change the electricity distribution company by keeping the same electricity meter. That is, you will be able to port the power connection like a mobile connection. But the charge to get the company ported, the consumer will have to lift. All this will be possible after the amendment to the Electricity Bill 2003. The Central Government will soon bring this amendment in Parliament.

In this regard, Power and Renewable Energy Minister RK Singh on Thursday, held discussions with officials and power ministers through video conferencing in the states of North and North East, Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal, Rajasthan. 

As per Electricity Bill 1003, JERC (Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission) will also have a member from judicial side besides IAS and technocrats. This legal advisor is going to solve the problem faced by the consumers. 

If all states agree to amend the bill, it will be passed by both houses of parliament.  Consumers will benefit from the new system.  Competition will increase between government or private sector companies that do power distribution. They will also reduce tariff rates on the lines of mobile companies.  This will improve the power distribution system. People will start getting electricity without any cut. At present, electricity rates in Punjab are higher than in Haryana while in Chandigarh, it is less than these states.