Statistics show that only a small percentage of writers employ creative writing skills. Creative writing is a branch of literature that involves fictional and story writing from one’s own imagination. It aims at expressing feelings and thoughts, entertaining, engaging, or informing.
Creative writing is a form of art that uses words that can help create a picture in the readers’ minds rather than using the picture to communicate ideas. It is the main methodology adapted in coursework writing especially in literature, beside other styles of learning.
Examples of creative writing include poetry, short stories, novels, play scripts, and song lyrics. Here are techniques to improve creative writing skills.
- Broad reading
Reading broadly means reading any relevant material you come across. This ranges from articles, newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc. Take note of words used and how they are used. Such words include adjectives, metaphor, sarcasm placement, plot, suspense, and conflict use.
Take note of the vocabulary used and search for the meaning. Practice applying them in sentence structures and in your writing work.
- Identify mistakes and good elements in other people’s work
When reading, identify improvement needs in the piece of work. Note the writing style you enjoy and those you are likely to deploy in your writing. This will help you identify the elements of creative work and help avoid bad writing styles.
- Be unique
Creative writing work requires uniqueness. Refining unique creative work is important since most audiences and readers look for something new and original. The following tips will guide you in crafting unique content.
- Take a common topic – Write on a topic that has been done by others but present it in a creative and unique way.
- Start with something you know – It would be difficult to start a creative writing process basing on unfamiliar field. This means you should be inspired by real people, emotions, feelings, or events.
- Know what you need to be unique – It is necessary to be aware of the tools that will enhance your uniqueness in creative writing. This will enable you to appropriately deploy and incorporate these tools in your work.
- Avoid cliché – This involves the attempt to borrow or imitate the storyline of other creative work. This hinders uniqueness and kills originality of your work. This is important in research paper to prevent plagiarism, and it’s a serious offence to use someone work.
- Be consistent in writing
Practice leads to perfection. The more consistent you are in writing, the more you improve your skills.
Consistent writing helps you to correct both simple and complex grammatical mistakes and errors. This improves your writing quality and leads to gradual improvement of your creative work.
- Be intimate with details
This means that you describe every minor detail in your imagination. For example, describe motion, articulations, etc. This will help build the mood of your creative work and also create a vivid picture in your audience’s mind.
- Stay focused and concentrate
If you want to come up with good creative work, you have to focus and concentrate on writing. Avoid distractions such as noise, interruption, loud music, multitasking, etc. Focus and concentration enhance the flow of your work. Here are some tips to help boost focus and concentration;
- Set writing goals – This enables you to understand what you want to achieve by the end of the writing session. Always stay focused towards achieving the goal.
- Give yourself a break – Your brain needs to relax in order to operate effectively. This will refresh the brain and help improve creativity for more writing ideas.
- Create an ideal writing environment- A good environment that favours writing is organized, clean, quiet, well-lit and ventilated. Ensure your study area is conducive for creative writing.
- Manage distractions – Distractions can hinder the flow of your creative writing. Ensure your study room is friendly for creative writing. For instance, ensure no loud voices.
- Avoid self-edit – This distracts and jeopardize the flow of your content. Focus on writing and edit later.
- Do not look for facts
Involving facts in creative work will make the results boring and impede the flow of the story. Ensure that imagination takes the course of writing and place it in an attractive way to hook the attention of your readers.
- Use exaggeration/hyperbole
This a literary technique that involves putting more emphasis to enhance understanding. It involves use of figurative aspects such as similes and metaphors to enhance a vivid picture of the subject matter.
Creative writing skills are portrayed in the outcome. Good creative work hooks the attention of your readers. Mastering and applying these techniques will improve your creative writing skills. This will help you write good creative work.